Create an #AAA2013 Google Calendar
UPDATE: There is now an official meeting app.
Attending the AAA? Want to easily see all the schedule of panels you wish to attend in Google Calendar? Here’s mine (though it will likely be deleted and replaced with a newer version before the meeting).
Here are some quick tips, since all the steps aren’t immediately obvious.
- Login to the AAA website.
- Click Personal Scheduler in the sidebar on the right. (Or just use the link provided here.)
- Search and add a few panels to your schedule.
- Check your schedule for overlaps. (You can save events as bookmarks if you don’t want them to show in your calendar.)
- Use the print button at the top.
- There are two buttons, one will just print the current webpage, you want the other one.
- You need to select “Download to PDA”
- Not obvious that this also works for Google Cal, but it does. It will give you the option to create a Google Calendar ICS file and download it to your computer.
- Also, when was this software created? Does anyone call a smartphone a PDA anymore?
- Then go to Google Calendar and create a new calendar into which you’ll import this file.
- You can use an existing calendar, but I’d advise against that, in case you want to easily delete this one and start again after making changes to your program.
- When creating the calendar, be sure to set it to the time zone in Chicago. Google can be very finicky when you use multiple time zones. I believe setting this option here will avoid problems, but no promises. (Another reason to use a separate calendar for the conference.)
- You can also choose whether to make the calendar public or private.
If you make it public you can share it on Twitter with your friends using the #aaa2013 hashtag, or share it with us in the comments. See you in Chicago!